Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rimmel London BB Cream

Rimmel BB Cream
Rimmel’s new BB Cream Skin Perfecting Super Makeup has launched in the US. (Yippee!) I've most recently seen displays for this new Spring 2013 launch in Ulta. Thanks to Rimmel, I got to check this little baby out a few weeks early.

So far I’ve seen it in three total shades however, I understand that the launch in the UK included only two. Colors include Light, Medium, and Medium/Dark. I was sent the shade Medium and it is a perfect match!

The container is a 1 oz size with a very budget friendly price of around $5-$6. I've noticed that Rimmel products tend to be slightly pricier at Ulta when compared to Target.

As with most BB Creams released here in the US it is a tad disappointing if comparing it to a true Asian BB. With that said, if viewing it as a tinted moisturizer/multi-purpose lightweight foundation, I'm in love. Rimmel markets it as a 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Make Up BB Cream. It claims benefits including lightweight coverage designed to prime, mattify and moisturize, minimize the appearance of pores, conceal blemishes and protect the skin with SPF 25.


Check out my initial product reaction in the video below:


If you can get past the “BB Cream” name, the formula is absolutely lovely. If you are going into this purchase never having tried an Asian BB Cream, you will likely love how weightless and smooth a texture this has. It has a nice light-medium coverage that can easily be built up in troublesome areas. The formula claims to conceal and although I'm not sure I would go as far as covering a large blemish, it did a nice job camouflaging my fading acne scars.

This is a light, creamy almost mouse-like texture that reminds me a little of a lighter coverage Revlon Colorstay Whipped Mouse (one of my favorite foundations). with a delicate satiny dry down on skin. It evens out skin tone, blends very easily, and offers a bit of moisture during first application, however with my substantially dry cheeks, I did feel the need to apply moisturizer ahead of time. Coverage is sheer, but buildable, so it can perfect skin coloration and help ease some minor redness. It won't, however hide or conceal major issues such as dark spots, heavy redness on cheeks or face (such as rosacea) and acne.

The makeup settled nicely on my skin and didn't accentuate flaky areas (I have dry/combination skin). It has a smooth, slightly satiny appearance once dry and looks like I’m not wearing makeup at all. The lasting power was not quite as powerful as it claimed, though I was able to wear it for several hours before even thinking about blotting my slightly oily areas or applying powder. I have since adapted my routine when wearing this to setting it with powder (I love Rimmel's Stay Matte translucent powder) from the very beginning. Using a powder has extended it's lasting power immensely. If worn on oily skin, I can't foresee any specific issues, but be warned that the matifying properties aren't spectacular.
After a few weeks of wear, I'm in love 
Overall, Rimmel's Beauty Balm is an awesome tinted moisturizer with a sheer, but buildable coverage. The fairly substantial sun protection factor (SPF 25) is appreciated especially when compared to several other drugstore competitors. The active sunscreens include Octisalate (4%), Octionaxate (4%), Octocrylene (2%) and Avobenzone (3%). If you’re in the market for a weightless coverage that will perfect already decent skin, this is an excellent way to get a natural makeup look. However, those seeking the anti-aging, skin enhancing and highly pigmented coverage of a traditional Asian-style BB might feel this missed the mark. As far as the tidal wave of recent Western beauty balms, this one is so far my favorite.

Find this BB at your local Ulta or Ulta.com for $6.99.

Have you checked out Rimmel's newest addition? What did you think? What is your favorite BB?

Love always,




No comments:

Post a Comment